Stogie of the Week
This un-banded was sent to us from SG listener Tim (aka: Gravity @botl.org). A big thank you to Tim!
Spoiler Alert: The cigar is revealed at the end of the show notes.
This week we are drinking
Old Weller Antique Original 107 Brand Bourbon
What We Have Been Smoking
- Punch SS (Super Selection) #1 (2008) - These are smoking so awesome right now, great graham cracker flavors with some wood notes. Stronger than your average cuban.
- Arturo Fuente Work Of Art Maduro (2006) - This cigar was good, I don't get excited about this size anymore and I'm not sure why. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the flavors were just okay.
- PG Symphony Salamone - Top notch classy smoke. Box worthy.
- Avo LE 2011 - Not a morning smoke, so good but stronger than I remember, these will not age out.
- Camacho Diploma 11/18 - Great smoke, had age, love this size, box worthy.
- Tatuaje Verocu - Had a huge hole, nice flavors, but Im done with the red label tats.
- Padron Millenium - Oasis Hands down, unique flavors awesomesauce finish, without question this was my top smoke of the week.
- Romeo and Julietta Short Chuchill - Loved this smoke, a nice sweet, woody flavor in the beginning, earthy on the finish. This is an outstanding representation of the Cuban blend. My only complaint was that I wish it was larger!
- Tatuaje RC184 -
- Gurkha Cellar Reserve -
- Hoyo de Monterrey Des Deiux - A wonderful gift from Stogie Santa that I enjoyed with my Saturday AM coffee. Cedar, spice, and some faint cocoa that traded places with that Cuban twang throughout. "Box Worthy"
- Padilla Miami 8&9 Corona (2008) - This four year old Padilla packs a punch. Lots of pepper up front with a enjoyable earthy, wood core. Burn and draw were A+. If you can find them "Box Worthy"
- Quesada Q D'etat Howitzer - The second release in this series. I enjoyed this 6 x 60 greatly and may actually prefer it over the Molotov (perfecto). Medium bodied with flavors of wood, mild spice, and some floral notes. Burn and draw were perfect. "The Fiver"
- Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller Maduro - Both the Arturo Fuente Short Story and Work of Art Maduro's Maduro's have always been favorites of mine. The Best Seller falls between the aforementioned two in size. Unfourtunately, I found it flat. Maybe my palate, maybe the stick but either way I need to revisit.
- Liga Privada No. 9 Corona Doble - This 7 x 52 stick has been sitting since my birthday last year. 2.5 + hours burning and it is still going strong! What a journey! Awesome flavors. "Box Worthy"
- Viaje Exclusivo Robusto (2012) - Viaje recently released a new size of the limited edition exclusivo. This 5 x 52 Robusto was Medium/Full in strength and body and offered up some rich Nicagurua flavors including earth, pepper, coffee, and wood. This stick should age fantastically. "The Fiver"
- Undercrown ¡Viva! - Gourgous stick, oily, pre-light draw perfect amount of resistance with flavors of Rich Nicarguan tobacco and raisons. Takes the flame perfectly and welcomed to a nice mix of cedar, leather, and syrupy sweetness. At first I thought raisons then maybe berries. Couldn't quit place it. Burn and draw are good and the sitck is smoldering similar it's bigger brother, Liga Prvada. Lot's of power up front but it settles down after about the one inch mark. I liked it. A definite "Fiver"
Segment: Best Wicked Strong Cigahs
- Viaje Skull and Bones ? - Best representation of pepper, awesome flavor, nice balance of strength and flavor.
- Opus X BBMF Maduro 2009 - My top on the list, only wish I could get more at a reasonable price. The wrapper is special, and the end will kick your butt with strength, just keeps building!
- Viaje Skull & Bones WMD (2011) - After a year in the humidor, this is my go to after dinner short smoke. Well balanced spice and pepper.
- La Flor Dominicana El Jocko - After several years age, this stick still has power. I say these on an online retailer, tempted to get more. Nice flavors, full-bodied.
- Liga Privada T52 Corona Doble - When I want to be outside and smoke something with a punch for a long time, I turn to this stick. Excellent construction and great flavor profile.
- Viaje Super Shot 10 Gauge - This stick may very well be in my top 10 of 2012. Full strength and full flavor, this 3.5 x 54 Nub made me sit down by the time I got to the halfway point.
- Tatuaje M80 - A limited release for Two Guys Smoke Shop last Summer. I smoked this after a barbeque on July 4th. Wow. I can't wait to revisit during the Summer holidays.
- Paul Garmirian Symphony 20 Salomone - The Symphony 20 Salomone just makes me sweat every time. Especially this size. But I love every minute of it.
- La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel (2003) - Nine years of age and it still has some power. I just love that Ligero sweetness though.
- Illusione ~mk~ Ultra - A tootsie roll flavored fire cracker, watch out for the second half. Sneaky Sneaky.
Segment: Best Five Production Versatile Cigars
- Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 - $10.75 - Best smoke with coffee, not overpowering, great flavors.
- Padron 1964 Pyramid - $14.50 - My favorite 1964, has the best smoking experience of just about any cigar. The size and shape are perfect for this blend. Not overly complex, but the overall experience will keep you entertained and going back for more.
- Ashton VSG Tres Mistque - $8.50 - You can smoke this one anytime, perfect versatile cigar for day or evening smoking.
- Camacho 11/18 Connecticut - $7.25 - This is still my favorite breakfast cigar and Connecticutt wrapper ever.
- Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro - $5.25 - As for a budget smoke, this is tops on my list. Good flavor profile, great burn, and won't hurt the wallet. This is one that will go great with coffee or with a fine light spirit in the evening. Total: $46.25
This week we will be giving away a fiver of Paul and Stogie Santa's "Best Five Production Cigars". All you have to to do is send a photo to us at firstname.lastname@example.org of one of your favorie most versatile cigar. The winner will be picked at random on the podcast. Please submit your pic by June 15th 2012.
Also, do not forget to submit a picture of you smoking or a cigar you are smoking to win a five pack of the J. Grotto Reserva Corona Gorda and a couple of extra's from Stogie Santa and Tim! The winner will be chosen by us in June.
Unbanded #2: Partagas Aristocrats
Vitola: Petit Cetros
Size: 5 x 40
Age: BAP FEB 11
MSRP: Box of $25 for $80.00 USD
Unbanded #1: Montecristo Grand Edmundo LE 2010
Vitola: Robusto Extra
Size: 5.9 x 52
Age: MGA NOV2010
MSRP: Box of 10 for $139.00 USD
A big thanks to Tim aka Gravity on BOTL for the unbanded sticks this week!